The Hydrography Data Download command allows the user to download the USGS hydrography data via National Hydrograph Dataset Plus High Resolution (NHDPlus HR) as shapefile data. To learn more about NHDPlus HR, refer to this article in our knowledge base.
Note that this command works only within the United States.
Follow the steps below to use the Hydrography Data Download command:
- From the Map Data ribbon menu, click the Hydrography Data dropdown menu and select the Hydrography Data Download command.
- The Hydrography Data Download dialog box will be displayed.
- In the General Specifications section, the Layer group name is ‘Hydrography Data’ which can be changed by the user. The user can click the […] button adjacent to the Shapefile path entry to specify the directory location to save the downloaded GIS shapefiles.
- In the Hydrography Data Boundary Limits section, choose one of the following three options for defining the extent of the NHDPlus HR data:
- Current screen limits: When this option is selected, the software will use the current extent of the Map View as a boundary limit for the NHDPlus HR map data to be downloaded.
- User-defined limits: When this option is selected, the user can click on the [Pick] button and draw a rectangular region on the Map View to define the boundary limits for the NHDPlus HR map data to be downloaded.
- Model extents: If a project model has been defined, this option will create a bounding rectangular region to correspond to the extents of the defined model, plus an additional buffer boundary.
- In the Select Data to Download section, the user can select the hydrography data layers that will be downloaded on the Map View. In addition, every hydrography layer consists of a corresponding short description under the Description column. By default, the software selects the basic hydrologic layers. However, the user can experiment with the download of different hydrography layers on the Map View. To return to the default settings, click the [Default] button.
- When the options have been properly defined, click the [OK] button and the software will download the hydrography data as a shapefile.
The software will also display the downloaded hydrography data on the Map View as shown below.