A base map layer provides high-quality background aerial and other imagery from different online map providers to add context to the engineering data being displayed on the Map View.
This video demonstrates how to add a base map layer.
Follow the steps below to add a base map layer to a project:
- Right-click on the Map Data Layers panel and then select Add Base Map Layer from the displayed context menu.
Alternatively, select the Add Base Map Layer command from the Map Data ribbon menu.
- The Add Base Map Layer dialog box will be displayed.
The following sections describe how to interact with the above dialog box and change the base map provider.
Built-In Base Maps
In the Built-In Base Maps panel, the user can select a built-in base map from various base map providers. After selecting the desired base map, click the [OK] button. The selected online map will be loaded into the current Map View window. As you zoom and pan about, the base map will refresh to maintain the quality of the display.
USGS Base Maps
In the USGS Base Maps panel, the user can select from various types of base maps provided by USGS. After selecting the desired base map, click the [OK] button. The selected USGS base map will be loaded into the current Map View window. As you zoom and pan about, the base map will refresh to maintain the quality of the display.
Commercial Aerial Map Providers
In the Commercial Aerial Maps panel, the user can utilize Nearmap’s commercial aerial maps service. Nearmap provides frequently updated, high-resolution aerial imagery of urban and regional areas, including cities and suburbs that cover 80% of the US population, 65% of Canada’s population, 95% of Australia’s population, and 75% of New Zealand’s population. This is a credential-based service, and the users having access to the Nearmap imagery service can use this mapping service.
Refer to this article in our knowledge base to learn more about Nearmap imagery service and how to use it in a project as a base map layer.
Changing Base Map Provider
- From the Map Data Layers click on the […] properties button adjacent to the base map layer.
- The software will display the Base Map Properties dialog box. You can then select a different online base map provider from the Select base layer data dropdown combo box entry.
- Next, click the [OK] button and the base map will update with the content from the newly selected online map provider.