The various commands of CivilGEO software, such as Delineate Subbasins, Watershed Flow Paths, Compute % Impervious, Compute CN, Compute Flow Paths, etc, generate GIS entities which typically are polygon, polyline, and node type elements. These GIS elements have their associated hydrologic properties in the form of attributes. These attributes can be mapped and displayed on the Map View for the GIS elements in the form of annotation labels, as shown below. Refer to this article to learn more about viewing and editing GIS attribute data using Data Explorer.
Follow the steps below to use the Annotation Mapping functionality.
- From the Map Data Layers panel, click the […] button next to the GIS layer shapefile.
- The corresponding Properties dialog box will be displayed based on the GIS element type selected. The Annotation Mapping panel of the General Options tab will be selected as default.
The following sections describe various options available in the Annotation Mapping panel for node, polyline, and polygon GIS entities.
In the Label contents subsection, the Attribute field dropdown combo box contains the GIS attributes associated with the GIS element. The user can select the desired attribute from the dropdown list and then can click the [Add] button to add the attribute to the Annotation label field. The user can add multiple attributes to use them in the annotation label.
In the Annotation label field, the user can modify the annotation label by adding prefixes and suffixes to the attributes. This makes the annotation labels more readable on the Map View.
The Label format subsection is typically used to modify the stylization of the annotation labels, such as font, style, size, etc.
The Label direction subsection allows the user to choose from various Map View orientations of annotation labels with respect to the GIS element. For each GIS element type, the options available under this subsection are different:
- Node Entities
- Horizontal: This option is used to align the annotation label horizontally with respect to the node entity.
- Rotated angle: This option is used to rotate the annotation label with respect to the node entity.
- Polyline Entities
- Horizontal: This option is used to align the annotation label horizontally with respect to the polyline entity.
- Aligned with polyline: This option is used to align the annotation label in a parallel configuration with respect to the polyline entity.
- Rotated angle: This option is used to rotate the annotation label with respect to the polyline entity.
- Polygon Entities
- Horizontal: This option is used to align the annotation label horizontally with respect to the polygon entity.
- Aligned with polygon major axis: This option is used to align the annotation label with respect to the polygon’s major axis.
- Rotated angle: This option is used to rotate the annotation label with respect to the polygon entity.
For Node and Polyline element types, the following additional Label alignment features can be utilized to display the annotation label on the Map View with various orientations.
- Node Entities
- For node entity, the user can align the annotation label in 9 different orientations. In addition, an offset distance between the node and the annotation label can also be defined.
- Polyline Entities
- Placement: Using this dropdown entry, the user can choose to align the annotation label Above Polyline, Below Polyline, or On Polyline.
- Label offset: This entry can be used to define the offset distance between the polyline and the annotation label.
Note that the Label alignment subsection will only be enabled if the Aligned with polyline option of the Label direction subsection is selected.
After defining all the required annotation label settings, click the [Ok] button, and the annotation labels for the GIS entities will be displayed on the Map View.