The Zoom To command enables the user to search and zoom to a specific location or address on the Map View.
To use this command, the user must have a Base Map Layer added to the project. Refer to this article in our knowledge base to learn how to add a Base Map Layer to a project. In addition, a CRS (Coordinate Reference System) must have been defined for the project. Refer to this article in our knowledge base to learn how to assign a CRS to a project.
Follow the steps given below to use the Zoom To command:
- To zoom to a location, right-click on the Map Data Layers panel and then select the Zoom to command from the displayed context menu. Alternatively, press the [Ctrl+F] keys from the Map View.
Note: If the HEC-HMS project is in Local CRS, then the Zoom to command in the context menu remains disabled.
- The Zoom To dialog box will be displayed.
- Select one of the following tabs to use to zoom to a location:
- X-Y Coordinates
- For example, in the Location tab, enter the desired location and then click the [Go] button. The software will search for that location. After completing its search, various corresponding locations will be listed. Double-click on one of the locations to go to the specified location.
- The software will then zoom to the selected location on the Map View.
- The user can check the Place pin at zoom location checkbox option to pin a marker on the zoomed location. The user can also choose different pin markers and their sizes.
Note that the software will not be able to zoom to the selected location if the location is outside of the project’s defined CRS (Coordinate Reference System) bounds. If this occurs, the software will display the following informational dialog box describing the issue.
Zoom To Command for 2D Cells
While performing 2D modeling, different types of errors may occur due to problematic cells present in the model. For example, the simulation may be slowed down, or the application may crash while iterating through these problematic cells.
In GeoHECRAS, the 2D Cell/Face option of the Zoom To command allows the user to view and examine the problematic 2D cells to troubleshoot in the complex 2D flow models.
Note that if the computational window gives an error on a specific cell, the user can utilize this information in the 2D Cell/Face tab to troubleshoot the errors in the 2D flow models.
When using the Zoom To command for 2D cells, select the 2D Cell/Face tab from the Zoom To dialog box.
Note: If the HEC-RAS project is in Local CRS, then all the tabbed panels of the Zoom to dialog box remain disabled except for the 2D/Cell Face.
The panel consists of the following options:
- 2D flow area ID
This dropdown menu allows the user to choose the 2D flow areas present in the model.
- 2D cell ID
Enable this radio button and enter the 2D cell ID. After clicking the [Go] button, the 2D cell will become highlighted on the Map View. The 2D cell ID will be displayed at the center of the cell as shown below.
- 2D face ID
Enable this radio button and enter the 2D face ID. After clicking the [Go] button, the face ID associated with the 2D cell will become highlighted on the Map View as shown below.
- 2D face point ID
Enable this radio button and enter the 2D face point ID. After clicking the [Go] button, the face point ID associated with the 2D cell will become highlighted on the Map View as shown below.
Note that the user can turn on/off the different HEC-RAS elements display properties of the 2D flow area such as cell IDs and face point IDs from the 2D Flow Area Display Properties section of the HEC-RAS Properties dialog box. Refer to this article in our knowledge base to learn more about HEC‑RAS element display properties.