In CivilGEO software, the Merge Polylines command allows the user to merge two or more connected polylines into a single polyline. This can be useful when working with complex shapes that have several individual elements that need to be combined into a single entity.
The following illustration shows how this command operates to merge connected pipes (i.e., polylines).
Note that if more than two polylines are connected to the same node, then the Merge Polylines command will not work.
Follow the steps below to use the Merge Polylines command:
- From the Map Edit ribbon menu, select the Merge Polylines command.
- The Merge Polylines dialog box will be displayed.
- Click the [Pick] button to select polylines from the Map View.
Note that if the user has preselected the polylines from the Map View prior to running this command, the same number of selected polylines will be displayed in the Pick polylines read-only field. Proceed to step 7 to merge the selected polylines.
- The Merge Polylines dialog box will temporarily disappear, and a prompt will be displayed on the status bar instructing the user to select polylines.
- Select the connected polylines from the Map View. Once finished, press the [Enter] key or right-click and select Done from the displayed context menu.
- The Merge Polylines dialog box will be redisplayed, and the total number of selected polylines will be displayed in the Pick polylines read-only field.
Note that the user can click the [Clear] button to cancel all the previous selections and redo the entire process.
- In the Merge Options section, check the Merge polylines with same attribute value checkbox and select an attribute from the dropdown combo box. This causes the software to merge only those polylines that have the same value for the selected attribute. By default, this checkbox is left unchecked.
Note that the attribute dropdown combo box lists all of the non-geometric attributes associated with the first selected polyline.
- When all the options have been defined, click the [OK] button. The software will then merge the selected polylines.
To cancel the command, the user can click the [Cancel] button.
- Once all the selected polylines are merged, the [Cancel] button changes to the [Close] button. Click the [Close] button to close the dialog box.
- If the user has selected polylines that have different values for the attribute selected in the Merge Options section, then the following informational dialog box will be displayed on clicking the [OK] button.