You can easily export a HEC-HMS model as an AutoCAD or MicroStation drawing file using Export HEC-HMS to CAD command. This allows the HEC‑HMS model data to be shared with other CAD software.
Follow the steps below to export the HEC‑HMS model to AutoCAD or MicroStation:
- From the Input ribbon menu, select Export Data menu item, and then choose Export HEC‑HMS to CAD command.
- The Export HEC‑HMS to CAD dialog box will be displayed.
The following sections describe the Export HEC-HMS to CAD command and how to interact with the above dialog box.
This tabbed panel is used to specify the HEC-HMS input and output data to be exported to CAD.
CAD Drawing File
This section is used to define where the exported results are to be saved. Click the […] browse button for the file name entry to specify the directory location and the drawing file name to save the exported results. Make certain to select the file type, which includes whether to save the file as an AutoCAD or MicroStation drawing file, as well as what drawing file version.
HEC‑HMS Input Data
This section allows the user to select what HEC‑HMS input data should be exported. Each HEC‑HMS element type is placed on in its own layer.
This section allows the user to include the base map image with a choice of imagery resolution. In addition, the Overwriting existing CAD drawing file checkbox entry allows the software to overwrite an existing CAD file with the same file name.
This tabbed panel allows the user to specify the Coordinate Reference System (CRS) for the CAD drawing.
Exported Coordinate Reference System
This section allows the user to select the desired CRS to export. You can choose between following options:
- Use project CRS: When this option is selected, the project’s CRS is assigned to the CAD drawing.
- Use local CRS: This option can be used when the project does not have its own CRS defined. When this option is selected, the local CRS of the data layer is assigned to the CAD drawing.
- Select different CRS: When this option is selected, the Select Coordinate Reference System section gets enabled. From this section, the user can browse through all the supported CRS contained within the software and select the desired CRS.
Coordinate Reference System Information
This section displays information related to the CRS selected in the previous section.
Select Coordinate Reference System
This section is used to define a custom CRS. This section gets enabled when the user has selected the Select different CRS option from the Exported Coordinate Reference System section.
- Projected CRS Regions: Using this tab, the user can browse to the supported CRS for the location of interest by expanding the continent, country, and then local region.
- Projected CRS Listings: Using this tab, the user can browse through all the supported CRS pertaining to a selected projection.
To learn more about coordinate reference systems, refer to this article in our knowledge base.
Exporting the HEC-HMS Model
After specifying the options as desired, click the [Export] button. The CAD drawing file will be exported to the specified location.
Note that only the current scenario (or plan) will be written out to the CAD drawing file. Separate drawing files will need to be created if multiple scenarios are to be exported to AutoCAD.